We’ve all been there. We’ve all heard the sayings:
- “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
- “No one has the power to shatter your dreams unless you give it to them.” ~ Maeve Greyson
- “When you feel like quitting think about why you started.” ~ Unknown
And the list goes on and on…
About 18 months ago I had a discouraging outcome from something I had put my heart and soul into for over a year: a one-minute video message for my speaker’s reel. Many of you probably think what’s the big deal? It’s one minute. Yes, it was one minute of information I am an expert talking about so what made/makes my heart race and my thoughts turn to confusion when I look into a camera or talk in front of a group of people?
Friends who know me would never guess speaking in public or in front of a camera would make me freeze like an ice cube because I can pretty much talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime… However, the head chatter, “I’m not good enough” or “Why would they want to listen to what I have to say” or “How can I make this interesting because they’ve probably heard it before” surfaces, and it takes practice and hard work to keep the chatter at bay. Lots and lots of practice and a change in mindset because we are enough, we do have things to say people want to hear, and we are interesting!
Entrepreneurs are a special breed; I’ve been one for 22+ years, and even when I was growing up I sold enough Camp Fire Girl candy from second through eighth grade for summer camp scholarships (yes, my mom was our cheerleader and we went door to door every weekend but hey, who doesn’t love a little kid trying to sell candy – it helps right?). I also remember going around collecting canned goods for Jerry Lewis Muscular Dystrophy Carnivals… The entrepreneurial spirit is in our blood and deep down I think it’s because, whether we want to believe it or not, we’re BRAVE. During my walk the other night I was listening to my music playlist and the song *“BRAVE” came on and it clicked in my head… Entrepreneurs are BRAVE; why else would we do what we do? Okay, maybe the term “entrepreneurs are a bit crazy” comes to mind too, but to put ourselves out there speaking, coaching, hitting the pavement, doing the best we can for clients, learning to balance business and personal life, and not be taken advantage each and every day has to be because we’re BRAVE:
Brilliantly Responsible, Authentic, (and) Vibrant Everyday.
- Brilliant(ly): As entrepreneurs, being brilliant at our craft is crucial because if we aren’t there are plenty of other people trolling around with the same skills as us. How are we going to stand out and do it better? Keep learning. Keep reading…
- Responsible: Are you responsible? Do you meet deadlines? Do your classes, products, programs fulfill the promise you gave clients? How do you handle responsibility?
- Authentic: Be yourself. If you like a lighthearted, casual atmosphere for work and can make sure you meet deadlines, etc., that’s great; it’s okay to laugh and have fun. If you’re more formal; to each his own, everyone beats to their own drum. The fact is people would rather work with the real you than an Imposter. Authenticity is where it’s at!
- Vibrant: Sometimes the words “happy and excited” wouldn’t describe your day or what’s going on in your business, but when you’re out networking or speaking with a client or at an event – be happy, smile. It goes a long way and you never know who might need a smile or a laugh (and people remember a smile and a laugh).
- Everyday: Bring your best self to the table daily. We may not always feel like it (trust me, I’ve been there and done that), but the entrepreneur in us has to show up daily so find a MasterMind group, an in-person networking event, a support system outside the office and go for it!
We all have days, great and not so great; it’s life, it’s business. What do you do to show you’re BRAVE? Love to hear from you.
Until next time,
*BRAVE by Sara Bareilles